Washington State Regulatory Language
- RCW 28A.210.260 Public and Private Schools: Administration of Medication—Conditions
- RCW 28A.210.270 Public and Private Schools: Administration of Medication—Immunity from Liability, Discontinuance, Procedure
- RCW 28A.210.275 Administration of medications by employees not licensed under chapter 18.79 RCW-Requirements-Immunity from liability
- RCW 28A.210.278 Topical sunscreen products-Sun safety guidelines
- RCW 28A.210.320 Children with life-threatening health conditions – Medication or treatment orders – Rules
- RCW 28A.210.330 Students with Diabetes
- RCW 28A.210.370 Students with Asthma
- RCW 28A.210.380 Anaphylaxis—Policy guidelines—Procedures—Reports
- RCW 28A.210.383 Epinephrine auto injectors (Epi pens) – School supply – Use
- RCW 69.51A.060 Crimes—Limitations of chapter (medical marijuana use in schools)
- SSB 5380 Concerning opioid use disorder, treatment, prevention and related services
- Department of Health – Who Can Prescribe and Administer Rx in Washington State? August 2012
This document explains who can prescribe and administer medications and professions which may administer drugs ordered by authorized prescriber.
Washington State Office of Superintendent of Public Instruction (OSPI) Documents
Attorney General Memorandum
- Attorney General of Washington Memorandum, February 9, 1989
This is an old memo which is searched for regularly. It addresses the following questions:
Are over-the-counter medications treated differently from prescription medications?
Are inhaled prescription medications considered oral medications?
Should school nurses train unlicensed school staff to administer epinephrine by injection for students with a history of anaphylaxis?
Disposal of Medications
Food and Drug Administration (FDA):
- Disposal of Unused Medicines: What You Should Know, April 2016
- How to Dispose of Unused Medicines, April 25, 2016
Washington Poison Center:
- Registered Nurse Delegation in School Settings – DOH Nursing Care Quality Assurance Commission – Advisory Opinion, 2014
- Rescinding Delegation-Registered Nurse Sample Form – page 85 of Guidelines for Medication Administration in Schools, 2015