About OSPI Migrant Education Program & NWESD School Nurse Corps Spot Vision Screener Program
For over 50 years, the Washington State Migrant Education Program (MEP) has been helping meet the unique educational and social needs of migratory children and their families. Recognizing needs related to migrant vision screening, MEP has partnered with NWESD School Nurse Corps and committed to three objectives:
- Supporting migrant student vision screenings using instrument-based screeners
- Improving vision screening practices
- Ensuring vision referrals to providers
Youth vision screenings are conducted in school districts and migrant health programs. To support these efforts, the OSPI migrant program has purchased two Welch Allyn Spot instrument –based vision screeners. These screeners will be available to use through the NWESD School Nurse Corps (SNC) lending library. While these devices remain the property of OSPI, SNC will coordinate screener scheduling and distribution within the NWESD five county region.
MEP screeners are intended to support vision screenings of migrant youth ages 3 through 21 who reside in Washington State. Migrant students in 4th, 6th and 8-12th grades are the primary focus. Spot vision screeners will be loaned based on priority and adherence to program requirements.
Program Priority List:
- ESD Migrant Education Program Out of School Youth (OSY)/ Health Coordinators
- Project School Districts – School districts that participate in the Washington State Migrant Education Program (MEP).
- Non-Project School Districts –School districts who have migrant students but do not participate in MEP.
- School districts who are supporting a regional MEP program/or event.
- Adhere to MEP and SNC Lending Library vision screener policy and procedures.
- Document competency in use of the Spot Screener and restrict screener use to trained personnel.
- Maintain responsibility for equipment safety and appropriate use.
- Coordinate, collect, and report migrant student vision screening and referral data with the ESD MEP OSY/ Health Coordinator.