Snohomish School District offers a Traffic Safety Education Program administered by Northwest Educational Service District (NWESD). The program complies with all standards established by RCW 28A-220 and WAC 392-153.
Traffic Safety Overview
- Students must be at least 15 years old to enroll in Traffic Safety Education (TSE).
- Fall session classes are held at Snohomish High School.
- Class size is limited for each session.
- Fee of $490 is due at time of registration and includes classroom instruction, behind-the-wheel instruction, Department of Licensing (DOL) written knowledge exam, and DOL driving skills exam. Payment may be made by PayPal, credit card, or check (made payable to NWESD). No refunds are given after the mandatory parent/student meeting or for withdrawal due to non-attendance.
- Registration is online on a first come, first served basis.
- Traffic Safety can be a complicated process. Be sure to read the instructions and understand the process before you proceed with registration.
- If you have any questions please contact Marty Menzies at 360-563-4006 or Joni Morrell at 360-299-4002.
Traffic Safety Education consists of 30 hours of classroom instruction and nine sessions of on-street driving instruction. Classroom sessions are held four days per week, Monday through Thursday, from 3:00 to 4:00 PM at Snohomish High School. On-street driving sessions are scheduled for two hours twice a week (total of four hours per week): once on a weekday after the classroom session and once on Saturdays. Preferences and/or conflicts for the on-street driving session days/times may be submitted at the end of the registration process. Assignment depends upon instructor availability; however, every effort will be made to accommodate other requests.
- Read and agree to guidelines: Parents and students must read and agree to the following guidelines prior to registration. You will be asked to confirm that you agree to the terms listed on both guidelines during the registration process:
- Obtain identification number: If the student does not already have a Washington permit or ID card, he/she must pre-apply online with the Department of Licensing (through License eXpress https://secure.dol.wa.gov/home/) to set up an account and obtain a DOL-issued DLN number (will begin with WDL) prior to completing the registration form. If the student already has a Washington permit or ID card, please enter the number in the appropriate field during the registration process.
- Select Class or Exam
- Select “Paypal” to use a credit card or Paypal at checkout
- Select “check” to mail a check
- Confirmation and receipt will be emailed to you, check your email.
- Ten days prior to the mandatory parent/student meeting, an electronic waiver will be submitted to the DOL, which will enable the student to apply for a permit without taking the knowledge test first. Please note that we cannot enter waivers before the ten-day timeframe or for students who are not 15 years old. You will receive a confirmation email once it has been completed.
- After you receive the confirmation email, finish the permit application process at a driver licensing office. Be aware that the DOL will not issue the permit until the waiver has been entered in the system, which cannot be done until ten days prior to the first day of class. Be sure to check the DOL website (www.dol.wa.gov) for office hours and best times to visit.
- Everett Driver Licensing Office, 5313 Evergreen Way, Everett, WA 98203, 425-356-2967
- Lynnwood Driver Licensing Office, 18023 Hwy 99 N Suite E, Lynnwood, WA 98037, 425-672-3409
- Smokey Point Driver Licensing Office, 3704 172nd St NE, Suite K1, Arlington, WA 98223, 360-653-1545
- Take the following required items to the DOL office:
- DLN number assigned in the pre-application process
- Birth certificate or guardianship documents
- Photo ID
- Parent/guardian to sign Parental Authorization Affidavit
- Eyeglasses/contacts needed to pass a vision screening
- Application fee ($25 cash or check made out to DOL)