NWESD & NWRDC Facility Closure: March 23-April 24, 2020
The NWESD Anacortes Office staff will be available by phone, email, Zoom from 8:00A-4:30P M-F. Our facility will be closed to the public with access for non-employees by appointment only. The NWRDC office will be accessible by WSIPC and NWRDC staff with limited on-site activities.
Please visit our Delays & Cancellations page for more information about changes regarding classes and events at the NWESD.
Know the Facts about the Corona Virus (COVID-19)
- Help reduce stigma and discrimiation: race, ethnicity or nationality are not connected with COVID-19.
- Most people with confirmed cases of COVID-19 are adults. There is no evidence that children are more susceptible.
- For specific medical advice or questions please consult with your health care provider.
- We will continue to monitor this situation as it unfolds and will take our lead from state and national health authorities.
- Stay calm. Be informed. Be prepared. Think of others.
Steps to help prevent the spread of COVID-19
To minimize our personal and collective risk of exposure, the steps below are recommended by the CDC and the Washington State Department of Health (DOH) to help prevent contamination and spread of COVID-19.
They are the same steps you would take to prevent the spread of the flu and/or a common cold:
- Wash your hands often with soap and water (20 seconds). Especially after eating and after coming into contact with others. Use an alcohol-based sanitizer that contains at least 60% alcohol if soap and water are not available;
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, or mouth with unwashed hands;
- Avoid contact with people who are sick;
- Stay home while you are sick and avoid close contact with others;
- Cover your mouth/nose with a tissue or sleeve when coughing or sneezing;
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched object and surfaces.
- Local Health Departments and Districts
- NWESD – Immunizations and Communicable Diseases
- NWESD – Management of Emergencies/Disaster Preparedness
- NWESD – School District websites
- WA State Department of Health – 2019 Novel Coronavirus Outbreak (DOH)
- DOH – School Resources & Recommendations (page as a .pdf)
- DOH – Fact Sheet (DOH) (multiple languages)
- OSPI – Infectious Disease Control Guide for School Staff
- OSPI – Guidance & Resources
- Governor Inslee
Communicating with students
- When and How to Wash Your Hands (CDC)
- Corona Virus Facts for Kids NPR
- Anti-stigma resources King County
- Help Fight the Spread of Illness (poster)
- Talking to Children About COVID-19 (NASP)
- Coping with Stress During an Outbreak (English) SAMHSA
- Coping with Stress During an Outbreak (Spanish) SAMHSA
- COVID-19 resource guide (NAMI) Managing stress and anxiety
School District Resources
- Sample District COVID Prep Plan
- Sample Pandemic Plan (WSRMP)
- Guide for Developing High-Quality School Emergency Operations Plans
- The Role of Districts High-Quality School Emergency Operations Plans
- School District (K-12) Pandemic Influenza Planning Checklist (CDC)
- Get Your School Ready for Pandemic Flu (CDC)
- Classroom Cleaning (CDC)
School District Communications
- Everett School District Communications & Updates
- Bellingham School District Communications & Updates
- Sample Parent Letter
Thank you to Everett and Bellingham school districts, who have agreed to share their community messaging on this page.
last updated 3/17/2020 10:00 am