1115-P – Vacancies Procedures
NWESD 189 Board Vacancies
When a vacancy occurs on the Board, it is in the best interest of the NWESD 189 to encourage as many able citizens as possible to consider becoming a Board member. To that end, the following procedures shall be used to identify and appoint citizens to all Board vacancies:
- Announcement of the vacancy and the procedure for filling it shall be made in the general news media and to member school district school boards.
- All citizens shall be invited to nominate candidates for the position provided that the nominees shall be residents of the director district in which the vacancy occurs.
- The Board secretary shall notify all nominees by sending them a summary of Board member responsibilities and shall solicit from them a biographical sketch as well as a statement about their interest in being a Board member. Upon their request, the Board secretary shall provide candidates with orientation information.
- The Board shall screen the candidates.
- If there are more than three (3), it shall select for interviews the three (3) whose prior experiences and expressed interests suggest that they will be the most able to contribute breadth of view to the Board’s deliberations as well as to effectively represent a large segment of the community.
- The Board may recess into executive session to discuss the interviews of the prospective Board members, as per policy 1410.
- The Board shall appoint the candidate who in the judgment of at least five (5) members of the Board is most likely to contribute to the growth and development of NWESD 189’s educational programs and operations.
- The Superintendent shall prepare for the signatures of all Board members a letter thanking all candidates and commending them for their interest in the NWESD 189.
Local School District Vacancies
The secretary of the local school district board of directors shall request nominations and shall obtain applications for vacant school director positions. In order to fill the vacancy or vacancies, the following procedures should be used to identify and appoint citizens:
- Announcement of the vacancy and the procedure for filling it shall be made in general news media, as well as general district publications to patrons.
- All citizens shall be invited to nominate candidates for the position, provided that the nominees shall be residents of the director district in which the vacancy occurs. If the vacancy is in an at-large position, the nominee must be a resident of the school district.
- The NWESD 189 Superintendent shall:
- notify all nominees of their eligibility status;
- provide nominees with a summary of local school board member responsibilities; and,
- solicit a biographical sketch and statement of interest in being a local school board member from each nominee.
- All applicants shall be screened to establish all requirements for appointment have been met.
- The NWESD 189 Board shall make the appropriate appointment(s).
Presented to Board: 03/28/01
Date Revised: 3/28/01