Steps to apply for instruction permit before the class starts:
- Create an account on License eXpress and submit pre-application online. The system will email you an activation link. Click on this link to activate your account. You will then receive a confirmation with the DOL-issued ID number. You will need to include this number on your registration form.
- Register for Traffic Safety Education (TSE) online (click the “register online” button to the right) using the ID# issued by the DOL
- Ten days prior to the mandatory parent/student meeting, an electronic waiver will be submitted to the DOL, which will enable the student to apply for a permit without taking the knowledge test first
- Finish the permit application process at a driver licensing office. Be aware that the DOL will not issue the permit until the waiver has been entered in the system, which cannot be done until ten days prior to the first day of class. Be sure to check the DOL website for office hours and best times to visit.:
- Everett Driver Licensing Office, 5313 Evergreen Way, Everett, WA 98203, 425-356-2967
- Lynnwood Driver Licensing Office, 18023 Hwy 99 N Suite E, Lynnwood, WA 98037, 425-672-3409
- Smokey Point Driver Licensing Office, 3704 172nd St NE, Suite K1, Arlington, WA 98223, 360-653-1545
- Take the following required items to the DOL office:
- Confirmation ID assigned in the pre-application process
- Birth certificate or guardianship documents
- Photo ID
- Parent/guardian to sign a Parental Authorization Affidavit
- Eyeglasses/contacts needed to pass a vision screening
- Application fee ($25 cash or check made out to DOL)
I have read through the steps to apply for a permit, and I understand the process.