Emergency Substitute Certificate
To apply for an emergency substitute certificate with a local district, you first need to create an Education Data System (EDS) account with the Office of Public Instruction (OSPI) – see instructions below. The second step is for the district to sponsor you, where they will authorize EDS to start/continue your emergency substitute certificate online through the EDS eCert application.
- Go to EDS System Sign In.
- Select theCreate an Account tab.Username must be a valid email address.Password must be at least 8 characters long and contain at least one uppercase letter, one lowercase letter, one number, and one symbol.
- Complete the Required Login Information.
- Complete theData for Linking to a Certificate. If you were ever employed by a Washington school district, you have data to claim.
- Click Register. You will be prompted to Request Application Roles. This option can take up to 30 minutes to appear. If your school participates in eVal, you may request a role at this time OR select Not Now to continue to E-Certification.
- From the EDS homepage, select:
- View my applications
- My Application List E-Certification
- From the E-Certification homepage, select:
- Available Role
- My Credentials tab
- Educator tab
- Use the dropdown to select your desired action.
- See the E-Certification Login instruction sheet for additional technical assistance.