Emergency Substitute Training
As districts are challenged with a critical shortage of substitute teachers, there is a need for training to provide professional development for potential emergency substitutes such as para-educators, volunteers, and parents.
The NWESD will be providing two-day workshops for potential emergency substitutes at locations throughout the region. Participants will learn classroom management; how to read and implement lesson plans; basic school systems; educator professionalism, standards of conduct, and legal issues; and alternative pathways to certification. An additional day of policies/procedures and job shadowing may be provided in sponsoring district.
Contact David Forsythe at email@example.com or 360.299.4000 for additional information.
Watch for upcoming training opportunities! Dates and locations to be announced soon.
Emergency Substitute Certificate
To apply for an emergency substitute certificate with a local district, you first need to create an Education Data System (EDS) account with the Office of Public Instruction (OSPI) - see instructions below. The second step is for the district to sponsor you, where they will authorize EDS to start/continue your emergency substitute certificate online through the EDS application called eCert.
- Go to https://eds.ospi.k12.wa.us
Select the Create an Account tab.
Username must be a valid email address.
Password must be at least 8 characters long, and contain at least one uppercase letter, one lowercase letter, one number, and one symbol.
- Complete the Required Login Information.
- Complete the Data for Linking to a Certificate. If you were ever employed by a Washington school district, you have data to claim.
- Click Register. You will be prompted to Request Application Roles. This option can take up to 30 minutes to appear. If your school participates in eVal, you may request a role at this time OR select Not Now to continue to E-Certification.
- Click Login.
- From the EDS homepage, select:
View my applications
My Application List E-Certification
- From the E-Certification homepage, select:
My Credentials tab
- Use the dropdown to select your desired action.
Please see the Login instruction sheet for additional technical assistance.
Emergency Substitute Training Resources
- Marketing Flyer
- District Sponsored Process Steps
- Alternative Routes to Certification
- Washington State Certificate Information
For more information, contact David Forsythe | 360.299.4000 | firstname.lastname@example.org