Deaf and Hard of Hearing Program
The Deaf and Hard of Hearing Program is a specialized program serving students grades preschool through high school. The program provides a comprehensive educational environment, emphasizing an intensive language focus while promoting student academic, social/emotional, and behavioral growth. Click here for the DHH program brochure.
Major program goals are to:
- foster bilingual/bicultural environments by providing appropriate role models and peer interactions with all cultures;
- assist students to successfully and actively engage in the academic process with hearing and deaf peers;
- teach students the skills necessary to communicate with understanding and clarity;
- enhance student self-esteem and social development within a wide range of activities; and
- support self-advocacy through family support, community linkages, and individual instruction.
2012-13 Participating Districts
- Mount Vernon
- Oak Harbor
Click for the Online Referral Form.
Click for the 2012-13 Student Calendar.
Report Harassment, Intimidation, and Bullying
The NWESD is committed to a safe and civil educational environment for all students, employees, parents/legal guardians, volunteers and patrons, that is free from harassment, intimidation or bullying. Any student who believes he/she has been the target of harassment, intimidation or bullying may report incidents verbally or in writing to Shirley Cutshall, Director for Special Programs and Services at the NWESD. Any student who believes he/she has been the target of unresolved, severe, or persistent harassment, intimidation or bullying may report incidents verbally or in writing to Carol Browder, Assistant Superintendent for Finance and Compliance at the NWESD.
For general questions and initial compliance related matters, please contact Buck Evans, Assistant Superintendent for Operations at NWESD. For specific unresolved concerns related to compliance related matters, please contact the Compliance Officer Carol Browder, Assistant Superintendent for Finance and Compliance at NWESD.